Home | Text mode | PDF | Mobile | Map

Our story

There is early evidence of non-conformist worship within the village. In 1851 they were meeting in a stable. In fact at one time there were two meeting places, one barn in West Street and another in Barton Road.

The Union Nonconformist (Baptist) chapel was erected in 1868 on a site given by G. E. Foster esq. Foster owned a bank in Cambridge (now Lloyds) and also worked with the department stores Eaden Lilley and Robert Sayle in 1840 to buy and hold in trust land for the YMCA.

Ministers of CBC since the early 1900s

  • Pastor William Barber
  • Rev William Mildred
  • Rev Ernest J Thynne
  • Rev J P Pugh
  • Rev Watson
  • Rev Garfield Evans (1961-1968)
  • Rev D Jacques (1968-1970)
  • Moderator: Dr Brian Heap (1970-1972)
  • Rev Colin Frampton (1972-1978)
  • Moderator: Rev Rex Cousins (1979-1980)
  • Mr Paul Gildersleve (1980-1984; Elders first appointed in 1982)
  • Rev Kenneth Jones (1984-1997)
  • Elder in Charge: Mr Chris Divall (1997-2007)
  • Rev Stephen Henderson (2007-2010)
  • Moderator: Rev Ron Day (2011-2013)
  • Rev Keith Tarring (2014- )
Union Chapel, circa 1900

Union Chapel, circa 1900

 Seeking to be an authentic community of disciples, becoming more like Jesus - walking in step with God, alongside each other and seeing lives transformed
Comberton Baptist Church is registered in England and Wales as charity 1172657 
Home | Login WebSpringer maintenance Variables